Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Darkroom to Digital and unrelated matters
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 18:06:54 -0600

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> They [digital images] are now being burned onto CD's for a buck just like music is played on and
> Zip's and Jazz Drives all Media which upgrades fluidly. If you had some Tiffs on
> some floppies and went out and got an iMac with no floppy you'd have to bring it
> to Kinkos or somewhere to put them onto a Zip or whatever you had. So no stuff
> wont get lost that way.

In an effort to "future proof" things, at least for awhile, I'd suggest
that these CDs be burned in plain vanilla ISO9660 format, rather than
something proprietary, like HFS+. This does force the eight-dot-three
naming convention on you, though.

JPEG images are already compressed, so I wouldn't bother compressing yet
again, but if I felt compelled to do so, I'd probably include the
uncompression utilities on the CD, and maybe more than one version.

> But it is magnetic media so if a nuke goes off or you put them down near a
> magnetic thing like a speaker it could get erased. And they would just gradually
> disappear like everything does anyway.
> Mark Rabiner

I used to use 5-1/4" 256 megabyte Canon magneto-optical disks. The disks
are probably still fine--if you can find a working drive that'll take
them! CD's pretty safe right now, because it's based on a massively
popular consumer product, but if DVD begins to steal sales, better
change over while the drives still have backward compatibility.

But if all else fails, you still have the original negatives, right??

Jeff