Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Darkroom to Digital and unrelated matters
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@gusta.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:33:02 -0400

Mark:

I'm not saying that digital images cannot be converted to new media. I am
saying that many will not for a variety of reasons. Do you really expect
that 15 years from now that CDs will be in use and that tha
hardware/software to read them will be easily available? Want to buy some 8
track tapes?

Ken Wilcox

At 10:53 AM 8/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Ken Wilcox wrote:
>>
>> At 10:36 PM 8/5/99 +1000, you wrote:
>> >Hey guys,
>> >
>> >Anybody going to stand up for the darkroom?
>>
>> I have no intention of switching to digital so I can't comment on the
>> supposed "advantages." But then I don't have to meet deadlines or produce
>> huge quantities of prints.
>>
>> I do have a long term concern with digital- that of longevity. I have a box
>> full of wire recordings in my garage. Can anyone "convert" them? Tried
>> reading an 8" floppy lately?
>>
>> Yes, I know that digital storage can be converted to new media when storage
>> devices change. The question is "Will they be converted"? I suspect than
>> many fine images will be lost.
>>
>> Ken Wilcox
>They are now being burned onto CD's for a buck just like music is played
on and
>Zip's and Jazz Drives all Media which upgrades fluidly. If you had some
Tiffs on
>some floppies and went out and got an iMac with no floppy you'd have to
bring it
>to Kinkos or somewhere to put them onto a Zip or whatever you had. So no
stuff
>wont get lost that way.
>But it is magnetic media so if a nuke goes off or you put them down near a
>magnetic thing like a speaker it could get erased. And they would just
gradually
>disappear like everything does anyway.
>Mark Rabiner

Ken Wilcox					Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LAW LHSA MEA			  		                <wilcox@gusta.net>