Subject: Re: [Leica] Print Development Time
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:18:59 -0400

Dan K.
Funny you should ask! A group of us have been playing with darkroom meters
 all have old Beseler Color analysers we got cheap on eBay!) and Kodak Step
Tablets in order to standardized the exposure time, determine paper grade.
The trick is to remove as many intervening variables as possible. With the
Ilford paper developer, we settled on a two minute development time. I fully
developes the paper, is not in there long enough to fog, and assures that
the development is about as complete as you can get- acutally there is no
discernable change between 1 1/2 minutes and 2 minutes.
We use the meter and step tablet to determine the exposure for each grade of
paper ( of filter) and use that to determine the shadow detail of a
negative- going from there to read the highlight detail portion and from
that contrast range, determine the grade of filter to use, and then the
exposure so that the 2 minute development time gives the shadow detail we
want, with the other tones falling into place.
It has helped us considerably in saving time, paper, chemicals, and what
little decorum we have since the cussin' and fumin' has diminished
considerably!
We're working on a website to present the info- so stand by!
Dan