Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Darkroom to Digital and unrelated matters
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 11:30:16 -0400

Bingo!
I thinks of all the miles of tape, and acres or 8" floppies that weren't
'converted'. Sometimes I wonder if anyone even has a copy of CP/M anymore!
The K.I.S.S. principle - "Keep It Simple, Stupid" works. Glass plates from
the early days of photography are still printable- I understand that at the
Smithsonion, and the Library of Congrees, that you can actually purchase
prints from old plates!
I know that NASA can sell you prints of the early photos taken with the
famous Hasselblads.... but I wonder how long the electronic media of recent
space exploration will last. Do they still record on film? I would imagine
so.
It seems that text and images on paper will be around, literally, for a long
time.
Even today ( at the risk of starting another 'Pen War") I find it much more
satisfying to sit down, with the Ole Parker or Cross in hand, and scratch
out on paper messages tofriends and family. The computer I save for the
impersonal stuff I send to businesses, the IRS, and any other entity to
which I have very little affinity- with the exception of the LUG, of
course!!!  :o}~
Dan ( My PDA is a small stack of index cards and an old Parker Sonnet!)