Subject: [none]
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:43:26 -0700

Bruce wrote about the DR 50mm:

> If I can find a set of eyes, will they align and the lens work?

Of course, the eyes are only for close up. I wouldn't worry about them.
You would probably need to test the lens with a specific set of eyes to
make sure they work together, but even if you don't find eyes or there
is some mismatch, the lens should work just fine at normal distances.

As I recall, mating the eyes with the lens is not critical. What is critical
is the mating of the barrel with the lens. I think there are marks or
numbers confirming that they are a mated pair. I've heard of unmated
pairs but never seen one.

I wish you good luck. I've had a DR since the early 60's when I bought
it with an M2 body. It was my first Leica lens. While it doesn't have
the crispness of modern Summicrons, it produces B&W images with
very special vitality -- luminosity, perhaps.  I don't know of any short
"portrait" lens that I'd trade for it.

- --Gib