Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 90/2 vs. the Elmarit 90/2.8
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:56:36 -0700

"Karim H. Karmali" wrote:

> I am presently considering the purchase of a new 90 mm lens (m) and wondered
> what the most significant differences were between the Summicron 90/2 (non
> APO/Asph) and the Elmarit 90/2.8 i.e. apart from the obvious speed and
> weight.  In Canada, there is an approximate $300 difference between the two
> lenses.  Given the choice, which would you select?
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts and apologize if this subject has been
> discussed recently.  Thanks.
>
> Karim

The Elmarit 90/2.8 which I have and love is a 1990 design.
The Summicron 90/2 is much older (20 years?).
So the Elmarit 90/2.8 is of a different generation qualtiywise and for less
money and weight for me there is no decision.
I will be shortly testing it against my brand new 135 APO to see if I can see
the benefit of the even newer generation of lenses.
Mark Rabiner
It's not as if you have a brighter image to snap in and out on your focusing.