Subject: [Leica] linhof -Leica NOT
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:47:54 EDT

<<The Technorama, combined with an M-Leica is an ideal travel outfit.  One is
the world's largest point-and-shoot (Technorama), and the other is a true,
discreet featherweight for more candid shooting.

As a Linhof/Leica owner and a camera-sick pup, I have found just the opposite.

I call my Linhof 6x17 "the worlds largest Nikon." It feels so much like a
Nikon body, right down to the finish and boxie-clunky look. My fixed lens has
as greenish cast just like a Nikon 20mm on Fuji film. Even the finder is
cluttered with a whole bunch of cr*p, just like my Nikons. (albeit it isn't
electronic, it is just a bunch of lines that are supposed to tell me
I-don't-know-what half the time.)

I bought a Horseman 6x12 and have found it a much more compatible mate to my
M's. It is small and smart just like a Leica...and I have found those
Rodenstock lenses to have compatible look to them as well. (contrasty and
somewhat cool colors)

Also, the ground glass back lets me use the camera with some precision when I
need to and the finder is plane-jane.

The interchangeable lenses and backs are a God send as well. With the 65mm it
looks like a freak cousin of the R8. <g>

One caveat is that the Linhof is made better. I don't know if the Horseman
will be around in 40 years...but then again I'm not sure film will be either.
;-)

later,
Rich