Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Old Leicas and better than the new Fiats
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:47:22 +0100

>I hung out with a Fiat Mechanic in the mid '70's, he kept real busy. ........
>Mark Rabiner

Mark. Well of course a FIat mechanic is busy.  Those things are made to
break.  I know.  I owned one.  THe clutch cable broke at least once every
10,000 miles.  I used to buy them in bulk.  I could change one out on the
road in less than 20 minutes.  This clutch cable appears to have been
designed by the early Romans.  THe wire cable always breaks right where it
joins the hard steel - every time the clutch pedal goes in, the cable gets
bent at exactly that spot until it breaks.    Other things break, too.  THe
paint turns to dust within a year or two, but only on some of the body
panels, giving that rebuilt sort of look.  Finally, mine caught on fire
while I was driving it at about midnight.  I jumped out of the car and ran
to the car behind me.  The woman driver rolled her window down about 5mm.
When I said, "My car is on fire!"  She said, "I can see that." (Fireball
spewing from hood.)  I asked if she would drive me down the block to call
the firemen.  No way - she wouldn't do it.  I guess she thought [I've seen
the old burning car trick plenty of times.]    When the firemen finally
arrived, one said that it was the second Fiat they'd put out that week.
Really, no kidding.

Fiats are designed and built by auto mechanics.  They know how to keep
themselves busy!

- -Mark Walberg