Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #84
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:06:58 -0400

Tina wrote:
> I contend that 35mm can also accomplish what is
> ascribed to large-format, but large-format cannot accomplish what is
> ascribed to 35mm.  Comments?

The argument seems to be about stealth and camera obscura, with an added
value of portability.

Portable;  a 645 or 4X5 kit may have more bulk (ie mass), but it need not
weigh more than a comparable 35mm kit.

Quiet;  if you haven't heard the new Contax 645 (it's as quiet as a Leica
M), then  you owe it to yourself to take a listen.
Although, it should be noted, the imposition a photographer makes on a
situation is more his/her making than the tool before the eye.

About 'truthful impressions' of the World;  any recording device built to
render an optical representation of the 'world' is capable of making an
impression.  None of them are, however, absolutely 'truthful'.
To use those two words in the same sentence, as qualifiers, poses a curious
paradox.

Of course, truthful images are black & white.  Whereas color is not?
[ooops, a whole 'nother can of worms, eh?]