Subject: [Leica] RE: Erwin's adventures in digiland. part 1 and 2
From: "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:32:35 +1000

On 13 Aug 99, at 14:52, Jean-Claude Berger wrote:

> Hello Erwin,
>
> Could this be a typo? I thought that each pixel was represented by 24 or
> 48 bits. How can 4 pixels represent 1 pixel?
>
> > interpolation. Remember that 4 pixels are needed to record
> > one image
> > pixel.

Jean-Claude,

Erwin's comment referred to the capture of images via digital camera. The
capture array in these devices is a regular square matrix ie colour reception
elements are placed in a 2x2 dot matrix, not triplets like on a conventional
CRT. AFAIK the matrix consists of a blue, red and two green sensitive
pixels, since more information in the green band is desirable as green is the
frequency to which human sight is most sensitive and subsequently most
critical. Unfortunately I can't seem to find Jim Brick's (?) excellent post from
many months ago which outlined the subject.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110