Subject: [Leica] depressed about investment
From: kt66@cyberhighway.net (ckk)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:55:33 -0700 (PDT)

I was recently traveling to a family reunion, and chose to only bring a
Yashica T-4 Super. I haven't used it in a very long time. No Leica, no
contax III a color dial, no Nikon,...

The color  print, slide, and B&W results left me somewhat sticker shocked. I
haven't used this point and shoot for some time, and was stunned by the high
quality results. I showed the prints around to my photog friends, and they
got depressed, too,  until they realized that their Canon, Leica, Nikon gear
have the added advantage of wide selections of lenses and accessories. I
guess all that differentiates a pro from the rest is the accessories. They
also have the added advantage of being able to spend obscene amounts of
money on these items.

 They were still  stunned by the quality of the prints,...

Sure, the lens testers can prove the differences on the test bench. Nothing
like an advantage at f2.0 but  nowhere else, and it only costs $1000.00
more. But good luck actually seeing a difference in your prints. Good thing
the quality P&S makers have not figured out that they only need to make
interchangeable lenses to wipe out the spendy competition (remember Retina).

Oh well, I am contrary enough to feel I "need" a Leica. I just can no longer
prove it.

VEK