Subject: Re: [Leica] 2 different Epson Printers $499??
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:51:24 -0600

Dave Yoder wrote:

> Jeff, I think the black ink cartridge is different than for the EX. I've got a 1200
> also and I love it. Just made a nice 13"X19" print and it's pretty sweet. It's not
> quite a ciba but it's exceptional for the price of the printer and materials. I
> recommed heartily.

Dave, I was just repeating info found on www.missupply.com's website
regarding those carts. When my current set run low, I may dissect them
to find out if I can clean out, refill and reuse the empties. One
obvious sticking point are those  seals on the bottoms of the carts,
which look like one-shot deals to me.

I was up late last night making my first test photo. The included copy
of Photoshop 5 LE was a treat, as it now allows you to adjust via
curves, but an 8x10, 1440 DPI image brought my computer to a crawl--not
nearly enough RAM! I got impatient and brought it down to 720, which was
tolerable. Initial impression: Impressive! I need to calibrate my
monitor better (it was set at 9300K and too contrasty). The printout is
ruddier than I expected (input profile set to "E6", output to "Epson
Stylus 1200", original film, E100SW) Very pleased that there's no
contrast gain aside from that introduced by the PhotoCD scan itself.

Jeff