Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Olympus XA rangefinder
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:28:03 -0700

Roger Beamon wrote:

> I had one since new and never had a lick of a problem, but as
> Mark said, it does vignette quite noticeably. Got rid of it when I
> came up with a mint Rollei 35 and found that I could do scale
> focusing as quickly as I could use the much inferior RF (compared
> to M6) on it.
>
> The images? Decent to good on the XA, but that Tessar on the
> Rollei 35 blows it away. AND, the Rollei is very resistant to
> Arizona flare.
>
> The clamshell is cute as a bugs ear, but I would guess that Gary is
> pretty spoiled by his Leica glass and will find the XA acceptable for
> 4 x 6 in. prints, and that's about it.
><snip>

The way I can tell my Rollei negs from my Leica M negs (Tri X mostly) on the
light table is that the numbers are upside down. Otherwise they are as vibrant
and shart to the corners as the negs I get with my Leica M. Also the subject
matter tends to be more stream of consciousness free flowing and in more
dangerous neighborhoods. Hi Marc!
Mark Rabiner
Makes me want to really make a test my 40 mm Tessar against both the Leica 50
and 35 ASPH Summicron as both are close to the 40 in focal length but in each
direction. Use a tripod and make 8 by 10s of the same shot.