Subject: [Leica] Advent of Coatings
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:43:45 -0400

At 06:07 PM 8/17/1999 +0800, Adrian Bradshaw wrote:
>According to Dr Neil Wright's 'A lens collector's Vade Mecum 2nd edition'
>'The first antireflection-coated lenses were probably Zeiss Sonnars but
>again it would be hard to be definite here. And the first advanced
>multicoated lenses may well be the Leitz Summilux f1.4 35mm but there are
>other possibilities'

Well, in the case of the Zeiss Smakula process, Wright and Wilkinson are
close, but I suspect the first production coated lens to have been a small
run of 4.5/3.5cm Orthometars in CRF BM dating from very late 1937.
Certainly, Kodak and Wollensak were commercially coating optics by the
American entry into the Second World War in 1941.  I own a 1.5/5cm CZJ
Sonnar which was sold here in Roanoke, Virginia, in 1941 and which is
coated:  it is not changed from the uncoated version save for its coating
and only opens to f/11, while the later Wartime models open to f/22.

As to multi-coating, most optical researchers grant the priority to Zeiss,
which began to multi-coat technical and industrial gear in 1969;  Asahi and
Zeiss both began commercial production of multi-coated camera lenses in
'71, though who was first into the marketplace is a matter of grand debate.
 I had never heard that the 1.4/35 Summilux was in the running and would
appreciate more information.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!