Subject: Re: [Leica] Pyro from off list kinda long
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:40:50 -0700

Giorgio Ferrari wrote:

> Marc,
> I'm thinking that I've lost some notices; can you tell me something about
> the "Pyro"?
> What kind of fool is this?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Giorgio Ferrari
> "fergio@galactica.it"

Giorgio
Alan Brown wrote me yesterday off list and I'm sure he woulnd't mind me quoting
him on this on this matter:

I have a fairly good experience level with the PMK developer, perhaps 600
rolls in both 35 and 2 1/4 over the last 4 years.  The grain in 400 speed
films is surprisingly good, perhaps masked by the stain.  Sharpness is
outstanding!  Tonality is wonderful!  Highlights almost never block up.  I
rate virtually all the films at half the manufacturers rating. I guess I
never want to run out of shadow detail.  I hate that!   Negatives are a
little denser overall than most other developers (D76, HC110, etc.) but
certainly not to a problem level.
There is no staining in either stainless steel or plastic tanks.  However,
I have read that pyro is dangerous, especially in powder form and in the
mixing process.  I try to be very careful in handling it.  I switched to
the plastic tank used on a rotary base for two reasons.  First, I am in
significantly less physical contact with the pyro.  Second, I have always
had slight agitation problems (with all developers) with stainless steel
tanks.  I always had to burn in the sides closest to spiral part of the
reels.  With constant agitation that problem has disappeared.  My negatives
have never been more even.  I chose the Jobo tank because I could also
develop four 120 rolls at one time in only 500ml of chemistry.  In order to
make sure that I have enough developer per roll I have doubled the amount
of pyro from what is recommended.  Obviously, with constant agitation and
twice the amount of pyro I have had to shorten my development times.  I
develop Tmax films about 6 1/2 minutes at 75 degrees.

So he would be the one to ask. abrown@ncsi.net
I replyed to him:

I recall it saying in the Anchell/Troop book that the Pyro world does not
involve full film speed. Considering everything else I could easily live with
it. It should be like shooting Tri X @ 320 which I've done before or Fuji 1600
at 1000. Just a guess or two. No big deal. Going through the old Ansel Adams
formulas half of them gave lower film speeds so I got used to that idea from day
one. Xtol is what I'm working through now and it is too good to be true. But I
am sure that Pyro will have plenty to say for itself and I will be using that
too on the long run.
Delta films seem ok and I'm intrigued by the 3200 but the older films with more
silver and tolerance to processing imperfections are still more my speed. I love
Plus X and Tri X and Tri X pro, Pan F Agfapan 25. Xtol has got me scrambling
with what I can use for what.
The LHSA appear to be a bunch of Archie Bunkesr but are great guys/a few gals
and wives. I am not a joiner. This is my only "club." As a photographer it seems
unusual to some to belong to a camera club. Five years ago I would have said it
sounded ultra dumb. I saw and learned a lot at their last and my first meeting
in Denver.
I have a nice 18 foot wet sink and good rubber gloves so I think I'll do ok
keeping the Pyro off my skin and out of my lungs.
I invert and roll my metal tanks in turn. I presoak. I use 70 degrees. I use
stop bath. In Pyro some of this will change but sofar not for Xtol or anything else.
I'm pretty sure Arista is Multigrade or Ilfospeed which I think is the best
paper. I have gotten completely bummed out on RC and have gone Fiber 100%.
Having printed for several hours in the darkroom last week on RC reminded me the
benefits of fiber. I have trouble caring for what I do in RC. I've made hundreds
of thousands of RC prints. A Rush job only. Call in the morning; need it that
day. Time and a half. (Sounds too cheap!?)
I have a temperature conversion chart on my wall in my darkroom now that I
downloaded from Ilford and then Photoshoped to perfection. Photoshopping a
Temperature chart? Yep!
Mark Rabiner
The tonality is thought to be unbeatable. I expect it to more than give my Xtol
a run for it's money. But at a sacrifice of some film speed. There is a famous
Pyro book "The book of Pyro" or something like that. Just get the Anshell/Troop
book and you'll be set on Pyro and everything else.