Subject: [Leica] Re: Home Brew
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:09:57 -0600

At 01:15 PM 17/08/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Roy Feldman wrote:
>>
>> I realize there are commercially available products but--- Does anyone have
>> a home brew for cleaning plastic developing trays?
>
>For years I marked my trays. Now I don't. The best thing to clean a developer
>tray is fix.

Use a concentrated potassium permanganate solution.  It is a strong
oxidizer.  Let it stand in the tray for several hours.  You can also add
concentrated sulfuric acid to it for greater efficacy.  Remove, then repeat
using sodium metabisulfite or sodium bisulfite solutions.  It chemically
acts to take care of the permanganate stain.  Works well. I've used it.
The permanganate/sulfuric acid mixtures are common reversal bleaches.
   Another home brew cleaner can be made using a mixture of sodium
dichromate, sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid and sulfamic acid, if you happen
to have the chemicals available.  These are essentially the ingredients
used in Edwal's tank and tray cleaner.  The sulfamic acid may be the one
chemical not normally found in the darkroom, so the permanganate stain
remover indicated above will likely be the best bet for those who have
access to the chemicals.

 _
[o] -GH