Subject: [Leica] Which Inkjet Paper
From: "Deborah Dion" <dkdion@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 22:50:17 -0400

Response to post on inkjet papers;
Luminos Preservation Series Papers can be purchased from Abbey Camera
(800-252-2239). I use the museum parchment and gallery gloss with lyson
inks.  The results on the uncoated papers are quite beautiful. The gloss
results are good but I think that you can still tell it's not a traditional
print. I have also used Somerset Velvet and Arches Cold Press. I especially
like the Somerset Velvet for black and white film (printed as CMYK). I use
the Arches for "hand-colored" black and white prints. (hand-colored in
photoshop). I originally had a series of my photographs printed as giclee
iris prints (somerset velvet paper with lyson i-inks on an Iris 3047
printer). I did them as limited editions and have sold them in several
galleries in Phila. I am going to try the quad-inks. A good source for paper
and lyson inks is Red River Paper (www.redriverpaper.com) I use a Nikon
LS-2000 film scanner, epson stylus 3000 printer. I did create an ICC
profile, and have experimented with many different work flows to achieve
prints I'm satisfied with. I've used a Contax G1 with 3 Zeiss lenses, a
Leica r7 and currently an M6 with 28, 50 and 90mm lenses. I did print 6 of
my photos on an epson stylus photo with epson inks and epson photo quality
paper. I hung them in my office. After 2+ years the color shift and
degradation of the prints is very noticeable. I couldn't use digital
printing professionally until I solved the archival issue. I guess for some
purposes where longevity is not an issue, it's okay. But the epson inks do
fade. And the experimental prints are not hanging in direct sunlight.
Debby Dion