Subject: [Leica] Leica v Nikon
From: "Deborah Dion" <dkdion@home.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:40:17 -0400

I guess that one could go on forever "canning" Leica R systems. There is a
quality in Leica R lenses that I have not seen in any of my photos taken
with Nikkor or Zeiss lenses. There is a richness, depth, a focus that is not
the sharpest, but lends a comfort to the eye with the R lenses. In spite of
this I sold my Leica R7 and 3 R lenses in favor of a NikonFM2N (35mm 2.0,
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8 and 105mm macro). I need an SLR to shoot
reference photos for my work as an illustrator and the R just wasn't an
economic feasibility. I only did this because I purchased an M6 with 3
lenses and fell in love with the camera, the lenses, ease of use, ability to
travel overseas with it etc. I use my M6 with with 3 lenses 28mm, 50mm f2,
and 90mm 2.8 for fine art photography (and to shoot reference in spite of
the SLR equipment...); will add the 35mm. The focus is the easiest I've ever
used; the sharpness, the richness, the exposure of the M photos out do any
Nikon system. I've compared shots that I've taken of same subject, using
same film and developing as my husband did with his Nikon F100. So I think
it's kind of inane to keep comparing apples to oranges.
Debby Dion