Subject: [Leica] Re: questions on computer for photo work
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:27:19 -0600

snippedŠ
>The general feeling amongst the Arts faculty people seems to favour Mac over
>PC for Image manipulation. I intend to purchase a Nikon LS2000 and the Epson
>photo printer. Should I change the habits of the past fifteen years and go
>Mac. I shall retain a 166 Pentium for any economic work I may undertake as a
>consultant.
>
>How much hard disc space do you recommend, how much RAM for Photoshop, and
>what processor speed would you buy in a Mac? Of course budget constraints
>enter into to the equation so I am budgeting about $2500 for the computer
>alone.  I do know that the rule "a computer is obsolete as soon as one opens
>the box" holds true-  so  advances will be made monthly. How easy is it to
>update Macs rather than replacing the whole machine? Many thanks for your
>time.
>Regards,
>Doug

Yes, I think you should change to the Mac for your imaging work.

Here is my suggestion for the best value right now for 35mm work:

Mac 350mhz with CD, zip drive, scsi card, 256 mb RAM (more RAM if budget
allows)
I think this comes with a 6GB hard drive
external 4X CD writer (you'll need lots of storage soon!)
Adobe Photoshop
at least a 17" monitor, larger is better. (I like Sony)
Polaroid 4000 scanner
Epson 1200 printer

Set this up using Apple Colorsync with profiles for all your input and
output devices and you're all set.

As to upgrades:
Right now the older Macs are very upgradeable. I suspect the newer ones
will be also.
With computer stuff these days its pretty hard to predict anything with
certainty.

Henry Ambrose