Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: questions on computer for photo work
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:42:52 -0500

>Henry Ambrose wrote:
>

>>Adobe Photoshop
>>at least a 17" monitor, larger is better. (I like Sony)
>>Polaroid 4000 scanner
>>Epson 1200 printer
>>
>>Set this up using Apple Colorsync with profiles for all your input and
>>output devices and you're all set.
>

>I recently had both the Nikon LS-2000 and Polaroid 4000 for trial for a few
>days, and I would strongly recommend against the Polaroid until they do a
>major rework of their software. I'll copy what I wrote to the scanning list
>below:
> Henning J. Wulff
>______________________________________
>
>I was waiting for someone to compare the two for a while, and then had a
>chance to do it myself. Note that I do not have calibrated test targets,
>but I do have tough Velvia and Kodachrome slides. Also, the conclusions and
>weighting are abviously my own. If someone has different priorities, he/she
>might come to a different conclusion based on the same results.

Interesting.

I compared the previous top end Nikon and the Polaroid 35 Plus and used
as a standard a scan of the same 100 speed Kodak trans off a Howtek 7500
drum scanner (? exact model?)

What I found was that the three scanners gave pretty much the same result
up to about 600%  enlargement. After that the Howtek kicked butt. I'm
pretty sure the Howtek would have really excelled if I had chosen a
"difficult" slide. The one I chose was pretty evenly exposed and not too
dense.

I bought the Polaroid because the software (old version) was the better
of the two at that time. I have tried the new Polaroid software and I
agree it is sorry. But no sorrier that the Nikon's. I've been very
pleased (since there aren't any better that I've found) with the Polaroid
and its old version software.

If the only software choice of software is the latest version for the
Polaroid then you may be right. Did you have a choice? Will the 4000 work
with any other than the "idiot push button" version (new version)?

In these desktop slide scanning machines, the software is their real
downfall, especially if you are used to good pre-press scanning software.
I wish the manufacturers would catch on to this shortcoming. I hear that
Silverfast makes great software that will work wit the Nikon but its
expensive!

Henry Ambrose