Subject: Re: [Leica] Prague
From: Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:50:16 +1000

BenTroGa@aol.com wrote:

> Planning a trip to Prague in the spring.  Any Luggers in Prague to help out
> this first timer with recommendations for food, sites, etc?  Trip planned for
> April/May.

I had a really mixed experience in Prague. If you're after architecture,
history, art, etc. then you'll probably find a fantasy come true but if you're
trying to meet some local people and to break out of the normal tourist mode
then you'd probably have to work quite hard to get past the very open local
hostility towards foreigners. I was lucky in that, since I spent a while there
(about six weeks), I met some Americans and Canadian that know some locals. If
you are seeking to live the local life and find out more about the culture but
are unable to get a local contact, my tip would be to check out the local
student scene; the younger people are usually much warmer.

The centre of Prague is also a bit of a bubble in the Czech Republic and things
change considerably once you hit the outskirts - the Gothic beauty is replaced
with the bleak remains of Communism but you also feel a return to reality. On
entering the countryside, where tourists are much less common, the people are
much poorer but the usual paradox applies: they are also much more generous.

- --
    Kevin Leong
    Telstra Intelligent Network Platforms
    Phone: +61-2-9206-3474  Fax: +61-2-9281-1301
    Gallery: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kckleong
    TFN: 3453-7577-2424