Subject: Re: [Leica] Telephoto -- hand held
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:39:33 -0700

>I'm using a couple of older Leica shoulder stocks on the 280 f/4.8 and 400
>f/6.8 Telyts and I've found them to be extremely helpful, more so than
>using a monopod.  clip.....

>I don't use the stock's grip except to carry the camera around; in use,
>the left hand is on the focus control and the right is working the shutter
>speed,
>shutter release and film advance lever.>>>>

Hi Doug,

I've used the Leica "tube type shoulder brace pistol grip with micro
switch" connected to the motor drive for many years. Saves all the manual
adjusting and the micro switch is so quick the camera is fired, or appears
to, faster than you can do manually.

My hands in place are similar but different.

Right hand holds the pistol grip with fore finger on the micro switch just
as firing a weapon, the right arm and shoulder take the main weight of lens
and camera with motor. While the left hand can also be used on the pistol
grip overlapping on the right for extra support while the thumb pressure
rolls the lens in and out of focus as needed.  Or I can use my left hand
and fingers to turn the lens for focusing rather than thumb pressure.

In this manner you can very near autofocus, but not quite!:)  When I switch
to a monopod I find it very "movement limiting" rather than the free
wheeling shoulder brace and micro switch firing.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant