Subject: Re: [Leica] Sekonic Meter
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:18:23 -0600

>csocolow wrote:
>>
>> Dear LUG,
>>
>> They say two things happen when you pass thirty: The first is your
>> memory starts to go; the second... I forget. That being said, I can't
>> remember what those of you who have the Sekonic L-308BII meter have done
>> to resolve the difference between reflected and incident readings. I
>> should add that it's approximately 3-4 tenths of a stop under what my
>> other Sekonic and Minolta meters read. I had both of them serviced by
>> Quality Light-Metric about a year ago and feel confident with their
>> readings. Please reply on or off LUG as you deem relevant to Leica use.
>

>Carl,
>
>If memory serves...there should be no difference between reflected and
>incident readings if the reflected reading is taken completely off of a
>properly positioned 18% gray card. Trouble is, most don't carry said
>cards, and they're difficult to properly position, which is why incident
>almost always is the way to go. Or did I miss something?
>
>David W. Almy
>Annapolis

There was quite a string of messages about this subject some months ago
on the Rollei list. Some questions then were "who decided on 18% gray
anyway?" and "what's an  average scene"

What I came away with was that due to the difficulty in positioning a
gray card and/or the meter position there is not a strict correlation
between the two readings. I find that I get different readings when I try
to compare my incident and reflective meters.
The more "real world" the situation, the harder it is to have the 2 meter
methods align.

My studio floor is painted gray. It reflective meters the same as a gray
card. But then add in some lights bouncing every-which-way and an
incident reading may not agree with the reflective reading from the
floor. Go outdoors and try it and its even worse.
I think consistency in measuring technique is the key. Just figure out a
way that works for you and use it consistently.

For whatever reason I trust incident readings much more than reflective.

Henry Ambrose