Subject: [Leica] Dropsy Tales (w/Leica content)
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:39:08 -0400

It's a once in the lifetime lesson. No sound compares to the impact a camera
and/or lens makes when it hits the ground. From then on, you never do it
again (well, you try to NEVER let happen!)

Best Leica dropsy I have (among a dozen or so other make/model stories) is
when I was buying my second M3 SS w/21 SA 4.0. The shop was the personal
haven of one of the meanest, gruff old German camera store owners I've ever
met. He made you wear gloves to touch his cameras/lenses (Kodak cotton!).
He'd scowl at you and snap instructions and comments. Mean & rude old man.

There on the glass counter between us was the object of my desire, and my
$$$ stacked neatly beside it. We were just arguing the last $50 increments,
but a deal was soon to be had. This was the third or fourth transaction I'd
made at his shop, so we were 'familiar' with the process.

I picked it up and looked through the finder, tripped the shutter and
advanced it.  There was no camera strap on it yet.
I set it back down and told him $xxx.xx was my last offer (1970's!).
He grumbled, said it wasn't enough, he might as well put it back in the
cabinet. Cursed in German under his breath I was wasting his time.

He picked it up abruptly, making a gesture I guess, it flew into the air
between us and crashed down through the glass counter into the case of
Nikons below.  (what a incredible sound that was!)
After all the dust cleared and the glass dropped into the trash can, we
finally agreed on the price (!) and I still own that 'noisy' camera.