Subject: [Leica] Airport XRay one more time (ugh)
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:42:27 -0400

Just had to pass this gem along.
Especially to all those who think the security checks make your flight
'safe'.

Was at a meeting for the expansion of our local airport (one of the busiest
in the country). Invited by a friend to take some snaps.
The head of the private security firm who does the inspections is there.
I get the chance to ask him about our (LUG) continued interest in 'film
safe' xray machines.

He says this; "Oh yeah, those scanners are totally film safe. Only if you
have 'fast' film will there be a problem."
Continues with, "But, I gotta tell you this, the thing that really zaps film
is those metal detectors. They can RUIN film. There's so much magnetism in
those things it's just terrible for any kind of films."
[I SWEAR he said that!]

A little more conversation, I ask him what kind of training he's had in
security (figuring it'd be something like the Wharton of cop college); "Oh,
I used to work the gates for United, as an agent. Then I heard USAir was
hiring for these jobs and I started with them five years ago."
"You mean you work for USAir?" I ask.
"Oh yeah, they pay me every two weeks."

So, USAir (aka USScareways) runs the security check points? And those metal
detectors fog film?  Oh yeah!
Good for a chuckle.