Subject: [Leica] RE: Minolta made R9, industry stats
From: Robert Monaghan <rmonagha@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:59:24 -0500 (CDT)

I have some related industry statistics and manufacturing info at:
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/photostats.html photo industry stats page
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/brondeath.html Death Spiral of Amateur Photogr.
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/third/economics.html economics of 35mm SLR mfging
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/semipro.html photogr. wages etc. stats
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/glassmfg.html Optical glass mfg issues

The photo industries seem to be in "sunset" mode, being phased out, and
moved to low wage countries in a "hollowing out" of Japan's manufacturing
industry familiar to many of us. With the expected shift to digital
cameras, I would not expect major R&D expenditures for new tooling,
technology, and other radical 35mm SLR/RF improvements - but would like
to be proven wrong! ;-) In any case, we have seen postings on the LUG
that stocks like Nikon and Leica etc. are not doing well. And most of
Nikon's profits are reportedly from its point and shoot sales, not Pro F5s!
Rollei makes more from one submarine periscope than its entire medium
format lines by other estimates. The German's recently shut down their
35mm pentacon/praktica factories, figuring it was cheaper to send workers
home on welfare than go on selling cameras that cost $650 but sold for $165
(Death Spiral article).

I would like to find other photo industry statistics, esp. about items
like market share and related issues, as these could highlight some
trends that impact all of us...  regards bobm