Subject: Re: [Leica] traveling with cameras
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:16:27 -0700

D Khong wrote:

> Thailand is probably one of the more safer places in Asia to tote a camera.
> The people might watch you out of curiosity but are unlikely to stick a
> knife to rob you. They are actually quite gentle and I have not seen anyone
> pick a fight with anybody else.

A friend of mine spent a month in India (his fourth trip) followed by a month in
Thailand (his first) last year.  He does know how to travel, since the trip cost
him $2000 including airfare from US.  But he said when he arrived in Thailand
that he realized he was quickly getting everything he asked for.  Then he
realized that he had been fighting tooth and nail for a month with Indians (part
of the culture) and that the Thais prefer to avoid confrontation.  So he
modified his approach and got along fine, staying in hotels costing $5-10/day on
the small islands off the coast.  He didn't, of course, go to any kick boxing
schools!  He did find (much to his delight) the couple of islands where the sex
industry workers (of all persuasions) go to vacation.  He's trying to talk me
into going back with him.  The out islands are where things are cheap and
non-commercial and inhabited by gentle people enjoying life.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego