Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and underexposed flash results
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:12:41 -0700

Pascal wrote:

> I am now examining the Velvia and Provia slides taken during our holiday
> trip in Germany. While the results are generally excellent, I noticed
> serious problems with flash exposures.

Pascal,
You don't mention what the flash problems are.  But I would guess from
mention of working at smallest aperture, that you are seeing underexposure.
So perhaps you are operating beyond the power of the flashes.  I would think
the camera would give you a warning, or the flash should.  I know with the
Nikons that I NEVER shoot in 1:1 ratio, but dial down the Nikon strobes by
at least one stop, otherwise there is overexposure on transparency film.
Last night I was shooting for a local TV cable company.  Did crowd scenes of
outdoor film festival they produce.  I was balancing people in foreground
with screen and movie in back, and used minus 3-stops to keep things more
natural feeling it was nearly night after all).

Yesterday a friend showed me one of his photos shot on an oil rig.  He shot
down the legs on one corner, people way down very small just above the
ocean, all backlit with sparkles on the water.  He shot with Nikon, in
program with and without fill flash, and with fill the photo looked very
nice, detail everywhere.  Without flash, almost black.  And this was 30-40
feet away from the people.  Quite a stunning example of the ability of even
a small strobe to help condense contrast levels and make pictures impossible
without. You can see this at:

http://www.vsii.com/portfolio/t-carroll/portfolio1/photo9.html

The only time I generally use incamera meter is for flash fill and it
usually works a wonder in program mode.  Describe more specifically what you
don't like about your pix and I'll try to troubleshoot.

Donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego