Subject: Re: [Leica] A little off topic: Brazil
From: Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 23:27:09 -0300

Pablo Kolodny wrote:

> Amilcar, does Brazilian weather depends so strongly on the argentinian weather ?
> I did not know that!

It's my impression as a non meteorologist. The cold front we've been through must have
come from somewhere! :)

> By the way, Buenos Aires, the city where I live in, is safer than you wrote about
> Rio.

I've lived in Rio all my life so I know the ropes. But when talking about my own city
to people from other countries I might tend to be on the safe side, which is  scary
for them.. a vicious circle. But one thing has just occurred to me: in the last few
years cariocas (Rio's citizens)  have taken to wear cellphones (probably more
expensive here than in other countries) openly everywhere, even talking on them in
buses. It is an interesting phenomenon as ten years ago someone who carried openly an
US$ 200-350 item on a bus would draw stares and be called crazy at every opportunity!
At the same time you may catch some heat if you ring the bell of an neighbor on the
same building you live if you have the temerity of not having the doorman announce you
through the intercom. So perhaps we are perhaps a little self-contradictory.

Cheers,

Amilcar