Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic - the Nikon F5
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:45:38 -0500

>Michael Yuen wrote:
>>
>> I have been a Leica user for over 2 decades, with 2 M's and an R.  But when
>> I tried the Nikon F5 in the store, I knew I want to own it.  It is such a
>> well designed piece of equipment for taking pictures.  The feel of the
>> camera in my hands was amazing.  No wonder it is a favorite camera for so
>> many pro's. Compared to the Leica R8, the F5 is light years ahead.  As far
>> as optics go,  several Nikor lenses are legendary in particular: the 24
>> f2.8, 85 f1.8 and 105 f2.5.  The 24 f2.8 is even better than the Leica's.
>>
>> -Michael
>
>I have owned the 24 2.8 Nikkor and have been saving up for the 24 2.8 the
>Leica
>M to complete my Leica system which has completely outclassed the Nikons I
>had
>used in my twenty year career- which is why I am here on this list.
>From everything I can gather the 24M should be worth it's considerable cost.
>You however seem to have information to the contrary!
>Please clue me in on my Nikor lens already being better than my future Leica
>version of the same focal lengh!
>Have you seen the results form both? Have them both? Read other reports?
>Mark Rabiner

Go Mark!

The 24 M is worth it!

Michael - you really should try this stuff and see for yourself. Nikon,
Canon and others make good products.  I tested a bunch of stuff before I
bought Leica.
The Leica glass is better. Period!
And for some uses the miracle AF cameras are really great.
I still have my F5 for this very reason.
Mostly, their glass is not GREAT.
Rent some Leica gear and try it yourself.

Henry