Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice on Kodak T400CN
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:51:16 -0400

David-
The film does not have the three color layers. T400CN and the newer B&W Plus
develop a dye image, that has no silver- the C-41 process removes ALL silver
from the film! The image, when printed on color paper looks like a B&W
image, unless the sloppes of the three paper color layrers are not exactly
balanced, then the paper looks toned. The B&W+ has a mask a whole lot like
Gold 200, and prints a better looking B&W print on color paper. The T400CN
has a less pronounced mask, and while it is good for down and dirty proofs
on color paper, it is better printed on B&W paper.
There is a chromogenic paper, that like the film produced a black and white
dye image, without worrying about color balance, but I was told it is more
expensive than color paper, and since you'd have to change out the magazine
everytime you printed on it, it would be quite a bother in a busy lab.
Dan