Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie Leica questions...
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:06:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/99 7:21:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kevinselner@pmail.net writes:

<><< 2. I saw a 35mm Summaron on ebay. It has the attached magnifiers which
fit over the body of the camera. Is this extra piece removable so that I can
use just
 the lens? What effect do these magnifiers have on the M6? >>

Kevin, the eyes must be used with the 35mm Summaron. That lens brings up the
50mm framelines and the focusing cam on the lens is shaped to coincide with
the view seen through the rangefinder with the eyes in place. If you shoot
with the eyes removed, you get the normal 50mm view with 50mm frame lines,
and you must scale-focus the lens because the rangefinder will not be
accurate. I made the mistake of buying a lens like that that was missing the
eyes. To use it on my M6, I have to use the frame line preview lever to see
the composition and use the distance marks on the lens for focusing. Not
really an impossible task if you are using a hyperfocal shooting technique
with landscapes, but for critical focusing it is not good.

Regards, Paul Connet