Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie Leica questions...
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:11:01 -0700

Paul writes:
>>>snip<<< If you shoot
|with the eyes removed, you get the normal 50mm view with 50mm frame lines,
|and you must scale-focus the lens because the rangefinder will not be
|accurate. I made the mistake of buying a lens like that that was missing the
|eyes. To use it on my M6, I have to use the frame line preview lever to see
|the composition and use the distance marks on the lens for focusing. Not
|really an impossible task if you are using a hyperfocal shooting technique
|with landscapes, but for critical focusing it is not good.
|
|Regards, Paul Connet

Paul, if this were the case, you had other problems with the lens.  The 50 mm
framelines and the focusing are not co-dependent.  The lens should focus
regardless of the framelines that are shown.  All that the spectacle
viewfinder (eyes) does is to expand the angle of view from 45 degrees for the
50 mm frameline to 64 degrees
for the 35 mm frameline.

Regards, Bill Larsen who learned this from the LUG a couple of years ago.