Subject: Re: [Leica] Was clueless: Now good moments
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:54:41 -0400

Ted Grant wrote:
SNIP

> However, I guess there are times when "majority rules or over rules on
> topics". By the same token the disappearing Leica folks is quite amazing,
> like where have all the regular Leica storied people gone?
>
> Any good Leica moments anyone?
> ted
>
> Ted Grant

Actually, yes, I had a good Leica moment or two lately. I had the
pleasure of working with my new 75 Summilux on a series of photos I was
doing for a client that provides services to people who had been
institutionalized in state mental hospitals. These people, some of whom
had been in hospitals for upwards of 30 years are now living in group
homes and skilled care facilities (actually cheaper than in state
hospitals). They are living dignified lives. Some, who had never been
thought to have enough wherewithal or intelligence to even speak have
learned words and sentences. Some who had never even felt rain or snow
will now have that experience. Back on topic I worked black & white and
available light. I just laid back and let the camera do the work. I'm
pleased with my results. My client is ecstatic. As an aside, there is
another photographer who is also doing work for this project (an annual
report) and from what I'm told by the communications director, this
other photog's approach of using intrusive, heavily-strobed lighting and
medium format has been alienating to everybody and has limited any
rapport or interaction with subjects who are already difficult to work
with.

This is an account that has developed as a result of some pro-bono
community service work I did photographing an autistic 10 year-old boy
with Down's Syndrome last fall and winter. Also all Leica and T-Max 3200
rated at 1600. These photos, along with work by other photographers who
donated their services (thought I'd get this nasty thread going again
:-)) are part of a yearlong exhibit that is traveling to corporate
sponsors in our region and illustrating this organization's 25-year
involvement with the mentally handicapped and retarded.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/