Subject: [Leica] Germany made or Canada made :) :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 07:38:31 -0700

>Pablo asks:
>
>> For example, is a Canadian 35/2 Summicron lens as good as a the same
>> lens mad in Germany ?

Will von Dauster  responded:

>In my experience, the Canadian examples I have shot were actually somewhat
>sharper. Since the formula was the same, I can only assume (dangerous word)
>that the Canadian lenses were better built. The one I still have is
>Canadian.
>
>You're welcome, Ted...

Hi Will,

Thank you, I'm pleased to see such a number of knowledgeable LUGNUTS being
positive about their Canadian made Leica lenses, therefore keeping me
refrained from my usual "Maple Leaf" rant:

"What the hell do you think we are in this country a bunch of back woods
morons? Some of the best Leica lenses have been designed and built here for
a long time!"  Including the revival of the M4 and if it weren't for that
retooling, none of us would likely be carrying M6's today."

However it wasn't necessary, thanks to you folks for your positive comments.:)

John Porier gave an excellent description of "new world conditions" in
Midland when they started; food, housing, clothes and lighting. :)

Some concern was given to the "smoke smudge effect" created by the oil
lamps on  production lines, so they switched to "chipmunk assisted"
electric generating. Unfortunately there was a very high chipmunk mortality
rate and finding sufficient critters to run inside the generating cages
finally came to a head when they became extinct!

The problem was solved however by trapping great numbers of migrating
caribou who could run faster.  Although it was sometime before the major
problem was solved, FOOD!

<<<<<given that we worked in unheated igloos and ate frozen fish.>>>>>>

Unfortunately workers were booking off sick with broken teeth from biting
frozen fish, this was corrected by using the front element of the Noctilux
focusing the sun's rays onto the fish, thawing them to edible mush!

The bonus of this was a great discovery not known until now!:)

Due to the sun's rays passing through the Nocti lens element before being
assembled to a complete lens, it gained 1 extra stop of light transmitting
ability to film!   And the "available darkness" lens became a world class
reality!  True story, would I lie to you guys and gals. ;)

<<<<< did you know that Bob and Doug Mackenzie did quality control at
Midland before they hit it big on TV? Eh?>>>>>>

Now these guys were very effective at QC, the best! They'd sit there a
"good Canadian beer" in one hand, a lens in the other examining for smoke
smudge and little bitty floaty things. Unfortunately some days they got to
drinking out of the lens and looking through the bottom of the beer glass
and the line had to be shut down.

On those occasions the "Made in Germany" stickers were placed on the lens
as place of manufacture! :):)  Now you know the whole QC truth, so instead
of complaining about quality control buy some beer, drink several then use
the lens, it'll be fine!:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant