Subject: Re: [Leica] Germany made or Canada made :) :)
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:16:20 +1000

- --------------2BB749802119AEAB8184FD1A

Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Thank you, I'm pleased to see such a number of knowledgeable LUGNUTS being
> positive about their Canadian made Leica lenses, therefore keeping me
> refrained from my usual "Maple Leaf" rant:
>
> "What the hell do you think we are in this country a bunch of back woods
> morons? Some of the best Leica lenses have been designed and built here for
> a long time!"  Including the revival of the M4 and if it weren't for that
> retooling, none of us would likely be carrying M6's today."
>
> However it wasn't necessary, thanks to you folks for your positive comments.:)
>
> John Porier gave an excellent description of "new world conditions" in
> Midland when they started; food, housing, clothes and lighting. :)
>
> Some concern was given to the "smoke smudge effect" created by the oil
> lamps on  production lines, so they switched to "chipmunk assisted"
> electric generating. Unfortunately there was a very high chipmunk mortality
> rate and finding sufficient critters to run inside the generating cages
> finally came to a head when they became extinct!
>
> The problem was solved however by trapping great numbers of migrating
> caribou who could run faster.  Although it was sometime before the major
> problem was solved, FOOD!
>
> <<<<<given that we worked in unheated igloos and ate frozen fish.>>>>>>
>
> Unfortunately workers were booking off sick with broken teeth from biting
> frozen fish, this was corrected by using the front element of the Noctilux
> focusing the sun's rays onto the fish, thawing them to edible mush!
>
> The bonus of this was a great discovery not known until now!:)
>
> Due to the sun's rays passing through the Nocti lens element before being
> assembled to a complete lens, it gained 1 extra stop of light transmitting
> ability to film!   And the "available darkness" lens became a world class
> reality!  True story, would I lie to you guys and gals. ;)
>
> <<<<< did you know that Bob and Doug Mackenzie did quality control at
> Midland before they hit it big on TV? Eh?>>>>>>
>
> Now these guys were very effective at QC, the best! They'd sit there a
> "good Canadian beer" in one hand, a lens in the other examining for smoke
> smudge and little bitty floaty things. Unfortunately some days they got to
> drinking out of the lens and looking through the bottom of the beer glass
> and the line had to be shut down.
>
> On those occasions the "Made in Germany" stickers were placed on the lens
> as place of manufacture! :):)  Now you know the whole QC truth, so instead
> of complaining about quality control buy some beer, drink several then use
> the lens, it'll be fine!:)
>
> ted
>
> Ted Grant

Ted, I glad to be privileged to read your detailed report on the Midland
facility.It seems to me, that the Midlanders are at the fore front of technology.
Also socially you seem to be right on top. Having once migrated to better pastures
(Australia), I am tempted to do the same again, after reading your report.  What
specially impressed me, was the part with the beer drinking QA. I would say, I
should be able, after a certain training time, to do a job like it. I have however
a bit of an unfortunate habit of dripping some beer over me, but since I started
wearing a wet suit for this occasions, the problem seems to be minimized. Do you,
with all your experience think, that I may have a chance in a job like this?. I
would even be prepared to change my name to something more Canadian. E.G. Moose or
Charles or something to make it easier to say it.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

- --------------2BB749802119AEAB8184FD1A

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Ted Grant wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi Will,

<P>Thank you, I'm pleased to see such a number of knowledgeable LUGNUTS
being
<BR>positive about their Canadian made Leica lenses, therefore keeping
me
<BR>refrained from my usual "Maple Leaf" rant:

<P>"What the hell do you think we are in this country a bunch of back woods
<BR>morons? Some of the best Leica lenses have been designed and built
here for
<BR>a long time!"&nbsp; Including the revival of the M4 and if it weren't
for that
<BR>retooling, none of us would likely be carrying M6's today."

<P>However it wasn't necessary, thanks to you folks for your positive comments.:)

<P>John Porier gave an excellent description of "new world conditions"
in
<BR>Midland when they started; food, housing, clothes and lighting. :)

<P>Some concern was given to the "smoke smudge effect" created by the oil
<BR>lamps on&nbsp; production lines, so they switched to "chipmunk assisted"
<BR>electric generating. Unfortunately there was a very high chipmunk mortality
<BR>rate and finding sufficient critters to run inside the generating cages
<BR>finally came to a head when they became extinct!

<P>The problem was solved however by trapping great numbers of migrating
<BR>caribou who could run faster.&nbsp; Although it was sometime before
the major
<BR>problem was solved, FOOD!

<P>&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;given that we worked in unheated igloos and ate
frozen fish.>>>>>>

<P>Unfortunately workers were booking off sick with broken teeth from biting
<BR>frozen fish, this was corrected by using the front element of the Noctilux
<BR>focusing the sun's rays onto the fish, thawing them to edible mush!

<P>The bonus of this was a great discovery not known until now!:)

<P>Due to the sun's rays passing through the Nocti lens element before
being
<BR>assembled to a complete lens, it gained 1 extra stop of light transmitting
<BR>ability to film!&nbsp;&nbsp; And the "available darkness" lens became
a world class
<BR>reality!&nbsp; True story, would I lie to you guys and gals. ;)

<P>&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; did you know that Bob and Doug Mackenzie did quality
control at
<BR>Midland before they hit it big on TV? Eh?>>>>>>

<P>Now these guys were very effective at QC, the best! They'd sit there
<BR>"good Canadian beer" in one hand, a lens in the other examining for
smoke
<BR>smudge and little bitty floaty things. Unfortunately some days they
got to
<BR>drinking out of the lens and looking through the bottom of the beer
glass
<BR>and the line had to be shut down.

<P>On those occasions the "Made in Germany" stickers were placed on the
lens
<BR>as place of manufacture! :):)&nbsp; Now you know the whole QC truth,
so instead
<BR>of complaining about quality control buy some beer, drink several then
use
<BR>the lens, it'll be fine!:)

<P>ted

<P>Ted Grant
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
Ted, I glad to be privileged to read your detailed report on the Midland
facility.It seems to me, that the Midlanders are at the fore front of technology.
Also socially you seem to be right on top. Having once migrated to better
pastures (Australia), I am tempted to do the same again, after reading
your report.&nbsp; What specially impressed me, was the part with the beer
drinking QA. I would say, I should be able, after a certain training time,
to do a job like it. I have however a bit of an unfortunate habit of dripping
some beer over me, but since I started wearing a wet suit for this occasions,
the problem seems to be minimized. Do you, with all your experience think,
that I may have a chance in a job like this?. I would even be prepared
to change my name to something more Canadian. E.G. Moose or Charles or
something to make it easier to say it.

<P>Regards, Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>&nbsp;</HTML>