Subject: Re: [Leica] Resolution limitations of web photos "question"
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:32:35 -0700

MGMcGough@aol.com wrote:

>     Hasn't the LUG consensus on this subject alway been that the simple
>     limitations of resolution precludes the stealing of any posted web photo
>     for any commercial usage?   However I don't think that this would apply
>     to a high resolution photo that is sent by email from one computer to
>     another.  Wasn't there a LUG member that was accused of borrowing*
>     "Playboy" copyrighted material some years ago?  What was the out-
>     come of the litigation???
>
>      I just posted a low resolution scan from my last African trip to Hans
>      Pahlens new website - and whereas it appears satisfactory on any
>      150 dbi monitor, it will probably print awful.  I am quite new to this
>      scanning & web posting, so forgive my ignorance --- but I am sure
>      that there are many experts on the LUG that can clarify this for us.
>
>      Curious Mary Grace
>
>      No archive
>
> digphoto@nashville.net writes:
>
> > snipped
> >  >About web publishing, I think it is almost impossible to protect pictures
><snip>

Inspired from things I read in PDN: Photo District News low resolution is not protection.
Say you do a photo of a young women dressed up like a clown with live canaries
perched on her arms as she hangs off the side of a building. You post it on one
of these Yahoo ripoffs.
New week you are looking through newsweek and Microsoft is running an add-
It is a photo of a young women dressed up like a clown with live canaries
perched on her arms as she hangs off the side of a building. It is not YOUR
young women. It is a professional model. Not YOUR canarys..a professional
canary. And so on.
If yahoo or whoever owns all rights to your image because you put it on their
site then you won't be settling out of court for a million *&^%ing dollars like
you should be.
My point: they don't have to steal your picture to steal your picture: idea.
Mark Rabiner
intellectual property?