Subject: Re: [Leica] Resolution limitations of web photos "question"
From: Frank Conley <frankconley@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:55:15 -0700 (PDT)

You can easily protect digital images through the use of a digital
watermark.  There are several companies that offer a service whereby
they will troll the internet for your digital watermark to ensure that
your images are not being used illegally.  Further, printing
reproduction of an image with the watermark will result in the
watermark showing.

Check out the DigiMark plug-in in Photoshop for an example of the
technology.

That said, the copyright of an image belongs to the creator of the
image unless the rights are otherwise assigned (work for hire, transfer
of the copyright, etc.) and if you discover your work being used
without permission you have a cause of action in federal court.

THAT said, images scanned for monitor display (72 dpi) are pretty much
useless for any other kind of display, and thus the practical worry is
minimal.

- --Frank Conley, Esq.