Subject: [Leica] OT: california virus & OT: PLUG success!
From: "kyle cassidy" <cassidy@hector.asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:15:25 -0400

>From: "Dewint Gilles" <zilopipo@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [Leica] WARNING VIRUS!!!
>hi folks,
>please, DO NOT OPEN any mail called "CALIFORNIA", it contains a virus that
>can't be solved, it explodes your Hard Disk!!! send this message to all
>people you know, thanx

To be off topic for a moment: people, please don't forward this around. the
CALIFORNIA VIRUS IS A HOAX. See the mcafee anti-virus entry for it under
virus hoaxes: http://vil.mcafee.com/dispHoax.asp?id=vh10170 it's more of a
harmless novelty. it comes in the form of a file attachment called "quake",
"california" or "wobbler" (you can of course rename it) when you execute the
attached program it makes your screen "shake" like there was an earthquake
on your screen. you can stop it by shutting the program down from the
toolbar. it doesn't damage your computer, it's kind of cute actually. ALWAYS
check out not just e-mail about viruses, but any story someone sends you
about killers under cars, dying boys who want post cards, secret cookie
recipies, etc. before you forward them on to other people. Lots of hoaxes
out there.

Now to be ON TOPIC: the Philadelphia Leica Users Group got together last
week at the New Dehli indian restaurant in West Philadelphia for an evening
of fun and games. We ate like hogs, shot a couple of leica shots exchanged
prints, loaded one another up with gifts, talked about cameras and victrolas
(oddly enough, not about single malt scotches, minivans, bicycles or any of
the other trendy topics). I myself borrowed some swank camera equipment from
PLUGger Jim Schulman.

We had so much dang fun we'll be doing it again soon, please contact me if
you're in the Philadelphia area and want to hang out with other camera nerds
and possibly go on a gang shoot somewhere.

Thanks for your time,

Kyle