Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/2 Summicron 11817
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:03:47 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> Based on Erwin's reports, and other anecdotal evidence, I can't think of
> any M lens where a later design was inferior in quality to that of an
> earlier one.  Of course, since I am putting this in print, there will
> undoubtedly be many examples put forth here.  ;-)
>
> Dan C.

My guess is that both Erwin and Marc would agree that there are many versions of
many lenses whose "fingerprint" certain people might prefer. But One "setback"
lens I experienced directly with plenty of people to agree and disagree is the
Tele-Elmarit 90. IMHO. a dog.
Erwin is often described incorrectly as a numbers guy unaware of the human element...
By people who either don't really read him or don't want to find out that their
cherished '50's era lens might have a quaint "fingerprint" but is not really the
"performer" of a more modern version.
He is often mentioning that differences could only be seen with a sandbagged
tripods and highest resolution films.
Mark Rabiner