Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Tele-Elmarit
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:27:08 +0100

Stephen wrote:

>Most Leica lenses seem to generate a general agreement of the lens' ability.
>Disagreements can usually be described as different interpretations within
>narrow limits.
>
>Not the Tele-Elmarit.  For some reason, the 90 Tele-Elmarit  has its staunch
>admirers, and its severe critics -- strangely enough in both the thin and fat
>versions.

Count me among the staunch admirers.

I have a thin chrome version (pic on my home website), which is in constant
use. It served me very well on our recent trip to the US and Canada for
both portraits and landscapes - very sharp with nice bokeh at full bore.

I also have the 90/2 Summicron M - also a great portrait lens, but huge in
comparison, and certainly not one for a holiday camera bag. In terms of
results there's not much to choose between them.

BTW, Tom A. told me the thin chrome Tele-Elmarit is quite rare, which
surprised me. Anyone got any idea how many were made (in Canada, of course)?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists