Subject: Re: [Leica] CL Leica Stealth Mode
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:35:19 +0100

>Nope; went and tested it (purely subjectively) and it is not 'clicking' when
>I move the lever to turn on the meter (maybe because I've got a TA soft
>touch installed?)
>Set it down next to the M6HM, fired both off one after the other- it's so
>damn close in db I'd have to call it a tie.
>[If required I'll take out my SPL and B&K mic to measure exact amplitude;
>but to this trained ear I think it's about the same, if not leaning a little
>in favor of the CL because it has less physical area to act as a sounding
>board through mechanical coupling.]
>It might be like splitting hairs on a gnats ass though??

All this prompted me to take the lens off my 'user' CL and observe what
happens.

Two things that may(?) make a difference:

1) The meter stalk on the CL goes into its operating position in front of
the blind when you wind on. It moves out of the way when you release the
shutter. Moving the wind-on lever to the 'on' position simpy turns on the
meter circuit.

BUT

2) Uniquely (unless I am advised otherwise) the CL is the only rangefinder
Leica with a vertical travel shutter - which means the blinds don't have so
far to travel, and the 'slit' (above flash sync speed) presumably traverses
the film more slowly than its horizontal equivalent. This could conceivably
be quieter if that means the shutter tension is lower.

So the 'gnat's ass' judgement sounds fair enough to me. Personally I think
the M2/M3 shutter is quieter, although as I use hearing aids, everything is
relative rather than absolute.

All that said, the great charm of the CL is that with a 40mm stnadard lens
it's a genuinely pocketable TTL Leica.

Slan

007

Alex Hurst