Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on cameras as instruments
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:33:02 +0000

Doug Richardson wrote

>Last weekend I was passing through Cambridge, and decided to take
>along a IIIg I've just bought. I wanted to check that it was working
>OK, and to see what effect the scratches on the lens front element
>would have on picture quality. A IIIg was my camera in the 1960s and
>early 1970s, and travelled with me on many holidays to Rome, Greece,
>and Egypt. My first attempts to use my "new" IIIg were very clumsy,
>but after a few frames and a pint of Greene King Abbot ale my left
>hand remembered its cunning, and I was using that IIIg as if the last
>two decades had never been. It felt more familiar than the cameras
>I've used since selling the IIIg. I guess that's nature's way of
>telling me I don't use my Ms and 'flexes enough.

Alas, the influence of fine ale seems to give the impression of dexterity,
performance and great achievement.  Waking up to reality the next morning
would often dampen the gusto produced by the ethanol the day before.

So pray tell, how did the pictures actually turn out?

Dan K.
       Money is like fertilizer.  It is useless until it leaves your hand.