Subject: Re: [Leica] Need help on R extender
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:19:36 -0700

Ben Ho wrote:

>I am thinking of using 135/2.8R + 1.4X + 2X to get a very small size
>378/f8.  However, I am not sure if the optics will still be ok.
>
>Have anyone tried this before?  Also, can we use 2 extenders at the same
>time?  (If workable, I will get the 1.4X.)>>>>>>>

Hi Ben,
 Sorry I don't believe the 1.4 will fit on the 135R due to the protruding
lens element of the 1.4 .

However the 2X works fine on any Leica R lens, despite what the instruction
book may say. I've used it on a 15mm and it's mind blowing stuff. :)

Now if you really want to get carried away?  Purchase 2 - 2X extenders and
stack them. However, before I'd blow off in the neighbourhood of 5 grand
for the extenders I'd buy a 180 2.8 that accepts the 1.4, there are two 180
versions. Don't get the latest even though it's an outstanding lens, as the
1.4 wont fit.

Or if you do only the 2X works. That makes it 360mm.

Get the early one, great lens and versitile because you can stack a 1.4 and
2X to-gether and shoot things you otherwise would not unless you had prime
long glass.

It's a matter of economics, is it better to use extenders stacked or the
prime lens? If I found I required a long (280mm) a sufficient number of
times I'd save the money and buy one,  then you can add a 1.4 extender for
a 400mm f4.0, a 2X for a 560mm. Or better still, you stack the 1.4 and 2X
and have a hand holdable 800mm f 8.0!  Piece of cake! :):) And it works
just fine regardless of what they may tell you in Solms! Or from those
who've never done it!

I'm sure others will have entirely different concepts.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant