Subject: [Leica] Need help on R extender
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:52:04 -0700

Ben

>>I am thinking of using 135/2.8R + 1.4X + 2X to get a very small size
378/f8.  However, I am not sure if the optics will still be ok.<<

I've used the 2X on a 90/2 and I see no degradation. I can't see that the
135 would be any different. I have never seen Leica recommend anything
regarding the use of their products that wasn't up to snuff.  Leica says
you can use the 2X on any lens f2 and slower and 50mm and longer.

There's a certain apprehension about using tele converters. I think that
has line of thinking has roots that are no longer valid. It's true that you
lose speed. That hasn't changed. But quality is much better. Both
converters and primes are better.  Years ago I had a third party 2X that I
used on Nikon. It was a piece of crap. I later used a Mutar on Contax and I
started believing in converters.

Leica users, and I include myself in that category, are very concerned
about the absolute highest quality images. And that's a valid concern. But
there are so many things that can affect image quality; camera shake being
number one in my book. I seriously doubt if you'd notice a difference
between a 280 Telyt and a 135 with 2X -- outside of the brightness of the
viewfinder. If someone claimed that 280 Telyt is capable of better
performance I wouldn't argue. But how much performance do you need and at
what cost? (And not just monitary cost, but cost in terms of weight too).

There are photographers who can justify the Telyt. They may need speed for
photographing sports in lower light. They may need absolute maximum
contrast and resolution in order to get every detail in a bird's feathers
at a wide aperture. But I'm not one. I've owned expensive long lenses that
just sit and gather dust. Focal lengths from 28-90 server 95 percent of my
needs. But there are are times when I'm in the field and I want more reach.
Is it worth the cost of a 280 Telyt for those moments? Do I want to carry
around a 280 for those moments?  For me the answer to both questions is no.
I'd rather carry around a small converter.

Since using the Mutar and now the Leica R converter I've never said, "I
can't use the converter because the performance won't be there." When
deciding whether or not to purchase a converter vs a longer lens the issues
are cost and weight, not quality.  I carry my converter all the time and I
use it. I've paid much more for lenses that I've used much less.

Dave