Subject: [Leica] Re: Proper care for new M6
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:57:19 -0400

Kevin:

You will find that the finish of the M6 is very durable. The plastic
inserts about the strap eyelets are very difficult to mark and are easily
replaceable. I put the supplied M6 strap on my M6 nine years ago and have
used it since. It has left only VERY faint markes on the inserts.

The rest of the camera has survived caseless use and several falls with
very little damage. Don't worry too much about protecting it. The exterior
is very rugged.

Burn a hole? Many will day it can be one but I doubt it. The sutter lies
almost at the film plane. Light passing through the lens will not be at a
point here but spread out wide enough to cover the frame. I have never
worried about it and I don't cap my lenses when I'm out shooting.

Use your camera and don't worry too much about it. In my opinion a well
used Leica has a distinguished look that new can't duplicate.

Ken Wilcox