Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W 400 speed
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:36:24 -0400

Roy-
I didn't get to reply in time!
HP5 is a really good film- very much like Tri-X, and I use them
interchangeably.
Tri-X is probably easier to get, but when one or the other is not available,
both Tri-x and HP5 are great films.
They are older formulations, with thicker emulsions, and I simply like the
look! You can develop them in just about anything and get a good negative!
When I worked on the school yearbook, I did almost separation high contrast
shots for title pages using Tri-X developed in Dektol!
If you use a compensating developer like Rodinal, you get tones up the
wazoo! Very versatile film- the only change I have noticed is that the grain
seems finer, but then again, my eyes are what they used to be either, so it
just may be me!
Tri-X, like D-76, and Verichrome Pan are/were Kodak products that came on
the scene in a state damn near perfection, and messing with them doesn't
better them!
HP-5 and ID-11 are certainly Ilfords answers, and not bad ones at all.
If you want to explore the possibilities, those two films are ideal!
Dan