Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: I've seen the BOKEH!!!
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:48:16 -0400

Simon-
Interesting post on an interesting subject! I was wondering that the
relative size or diameter of the entry aperture of the lenses have any
effect on bokeh and the overall quality of theimage?
The Noctilux has a very large front element, albeit to gather as much light
as possible, and to funnel it into  maw of that great lens.
Perhaps, the large opening, when translated to the interior, the out of
focus portions have a greater aberration due to the relatively large angle
that some of the light must traverse. Center of the lens distance is much
smaller than the edge of the lens distance (to the center axis) and that an
interplay of the same portions of the subject image, from these two
disparate areas of the lens, meld to form this 'bokeh'
Lenses with a relatively small opening, like my older 35 or 28 Elmarit-Rs
don't have that pronounced'glow'
I do know that the 35 Summicron has a better bokeh, to me at least, than
that of the 35 Summaron, and I had ascribed it to the larger front element!
Any thought on that idea?
Dan