Subject: Re: [Leica] PhD qualifications
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:42:28 -0400

Dan Post wrote:

> Don't sell yourself short. The great majority of the basic science which
has
> added so exponentially to the base of human knowledge has not been added
> because of 'great leaps' of insight or genius, but rather by the many
'baby
> steps' of millions of scientists who endeavor to answer a nagging question
> of 'WHY?'.

    I beg to differ but Thomas Kuhn's argument is well known. To bring this
closer to "on topic" Weston, Adams, Cartier-Bresson have each added
infinitely more to the art of photography than you or I summed with the
millions of other amateur and professional photographers. Not that this
ought dissuade anyone from photography for personal or commercial reasons.
We *do* see farther standing on the shoulders of giants, but not as a pile
of people squating on eachother.

>Of ten these questions are rather mundane, and seem esoteric
>  Sorta like Erwin's research!), but these baby steps or basic building
> blocks add up over time... the pyramids were not made by one person ( I
> know- a shipload of aliens did it over a holiday weekend!) nor of one
block
> of stone, but the amassed effort of many, and the sheer volume of stone
> accumulated in one place is sort of like our search for knowledge.
> I am grateful to know so many of you out there who have contributed your
> blocks of knowledge to the 'pile', so to speak!

    Yes but without the design of the pyramid all this would be is a long
forgotten pile of rocks.

all the best,

Jonathan Borden