Subject: [Leica] RE: Depth of field... (more than you wanted to know)
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:48:12 -0700

Paul,

What I recited is not only what I learned in school, 40 years ago, it is
exactly the same thing that is written up in ALL good photographic theory
texts. And you have to remember that GIB did not ask about "hyperfocal"
focusing. Hyperfocal focusing still follows the optical law... acceptable
blur (Circle of Confusion). So the hyperfocal point, and associated "in
focus" area, will change depending upon whether you want acceptable images
or "dead sharp" images. The hyperfocal point is special "only" because it
references infinity. But in photographic terms, a lens manufacturer
specifies infinity as a "few hundred meters." Not really infinity. So all
of the DOF laws are in tact. Even when using the hyperfocal point. Which
will probably be different for me, than for you.

Jim

The word "infinity", in photographic terms, is misleading.